SAZ'S GLUTEN-FREE PRODUCTS
BEYOND THE PRODUCTS
Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Fast Facts, as published by The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness:
- Celiac disease is a genetic autoimmune disease that damages the villi of the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food.
- An estimated 1 in 133 Americans, or about 1% of the population, has celiac disease.
- Celiac disease can affect men and women across all ages and races.
- It is estimated that 83% of Americans who have celiac disease are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with other conditions.
- 6-10 years is the average time a person waits to be correctly diagnosed. (Source: Daniel Leffler, MD, MS, The Celiac Center at Beth Israel Deaconness Medical Center)
- 5-22% of celiac patients have an immediate family member (1st degree relative) who also has celiac
- Celiac disease can lead to a number of other disorders including infertility, reduced bone density, neurological disorders, some cancers, and other autoimmune diseases.
- There are NO pharmaceutical cures for celiac disease.
- A 100% gluten-free diet is the only existing treatment for celiac today.
- The celiac disease diagnosis rate may reach 50-60% by 2019, thanks to efforts to raise public awareness of celiac disease. (Source: Datamonitor Group, 2009)
- Gluten-free sales reached more than $2.6 billion by the end of 2010 and are now expected to exceed more than $5 billion by 2015. (Source: Packaged Facts, 2011)
Saz’s Hospitality Group (SHG) makes every effort to provide an enhanced quality of living to customers, clients, and guests living with dietary restrictions of any kind. While we produce a number of products that are Gluten-Free and partner with a manufacturer who is equally committed to the cause, our commitment doesn’t stop there. At any time, within any division of SHG, we encourage you to share any dietary restrictions you may have so that we can assist you in identifying appropriate menu items or modifications to existing menu selections we can make on your behalf. The three SHG catering divisions – Saz’s Catering, Saz’s Catering Lake Country, and Sazama’s Fine Catering – frequently prepare and develop entirely gluten-free or other special menus to suit the needs of clients. Whether it is sending individual meals to account for dietary restrictions, or crafting an entire wedding menu around particular dietary needs, Saz’s Hospitality Group is always willing to accommodate wherever possible!
SUPPORT & RESOURCES
As with anything, education is key. Below are a small sample of resources our customers have found useful in enhancing their education about gluten-free living. If you have a resource you would like to add, let us know and we will be happy to expand our list!