Family fun comes in many varieties when summer rolls around in Milwaukee. The Marcus Center for the Performing Arts takes advantage of the festive season to offer guests plenty of entertainment for the entire family. Sazama’s Fine Catering, The Marcus Center’s exclusive caterer, is excited to sponsor a few of these events, and partners with this premier Riverwalk venue to offer exceptional service and hospitality year-round.
Since there is so much to see, we’ve put together a list of events happening throughout the summer to make sure you don’t miss out. We’ll keep the calendar updated throughout the season, so be sure and bookmark this page to see the latest!
Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra – Select dates June 6th through June 17th, 2017 (Uihlein Hall)
- Sounds of Simon & Garfunkel – June 6th and 7th, 2017 – Conductor Michael Krajewski takes part in this can’t-miss tribute, featuring Simon and Garfunkel’s greatest hits: “Sounds of Silence,” “Scarborough Fair,” “Mrs. Robinson,” “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” “The Boxer,” and many more.
- Tango Caliente – June 9th 10th and 11th, 2017 – The MSO join with Tango Caliente to bring you a night of passionate dance and sizzling symphony guaranteed to mesmerize. We can’t be certain you’ll want to stay in your seat, though! Experience the best of Tango and Latin American music, featuring performances and arrangement by famous tango composer, Astor Piazolla.
- Barber’s Violin Concerto – June 16th and 17th, 2017 – Samuel Barber hauntingly beautiful VIolin Concerto is a performance not to be missed and is, indeed, one of the finest pieces of music in the last century. This is the final concert of the season and will be conducted by the MSO and its Associate Concertmaster Ilana Setapen
KidZ Days At the Center: First Stage 2017 – Tuesdays, June 13th through August 15th, 2017, 10am
KidZ Days at the Center is an interactive arts programs that showcases a variety of performing arts presented by local Milwaukee-area acts. This program serves to entertain and educate, making it perfect for daycare and elementary-age groups.
Beautiful: The Carole King Story – June 20th through the 25th, 2017
Beautiful – The Carole King Story tells the remarkable true story of Carole King, from her humble beginnings to her monumental rise as popular music chart topper. The production features many of her most famous and classic songs, including “One Fine Day” and “You Make Me Feel Like (A Natural Woman).” Beautiful is the winner of multiple Tony® Awards, including Best Musical and Best Leading Actress in a Musical, and a Grammy® for Best Musical Theater Album.
12th Annual Broadway Bash – Sponsored by Sazama’s – June 23rd, 2017, 5pm (Bradley Pavilion)
The Marcus Center for the Performing Arts will host its 12th Annual Broadway Bash on Friday, June 23rd when the Tony® and Grammy® Award-winning new biographical musical Beautiful – The Carole King Story comes to town! The Bash, proudly sponsored by Sazama’s Fine Catering, will feature a Welcome Reception, the “Some Kind of Wonderful” Dinner Reception, followed by the performance of Beautiful – The Carole King Story. After the performance, don’t miss the “Feel the Earth Move” Dessert Reception for delicious hors d’oeuvres from Sazama’s and plenty of dancing.
Shakespeare in the Park, Presented by the Optimist Theater – July 6th through July 22nd, 8pm (Peck Pavilion)
Catch a performance of Shakespeare’s classic 16th century production Much Ado About Nothing while enjoying the fresh air and beauty of the Peck Pavilion.
- July 6-9, 2017 at 8pm
- July 13-16, 2017 at 8pm
- July 18, 2017 at noon
- July 20-22, 2017 at 8pm
Sunday Band Concerts – July 23rd through August 20th, 2017, 2pm (Peck Pavilion)
If you want to experience the Marcus Center in a whole new way, take in some live entertainment at the Peck Pavilion. This outdoor amphitheater is surrounded by gorgeous chestnut trees and is just steps from the Milwaukee River. This summer’s Live at Peck Pavilion series will bring a wide variety of performances for all to enjoy. And with the new Sazama’s River’s Edge Patio open for all performances, you can enjoy delicious food and beverages available for purchase from Sazama’s Fine Catering.
- Kids from Wisconsin – July 23, 2017 at 2pm. Kids from Wisconsin showcases the most talented young musicians in a full musical revue for all ages. Consisting of 20 singers and dancers and a 13-piece show band, Kids from Wisconsin performs inspiring, entertaining musical productions to over 100,000 people each summer.
- Navy Band Ensemble – July 30, 2017 at 2pm. TBA
- Milwaukee Festival Brass – August 6, 2017 at 2pm. Founded in 1985, the Milwaukee Festival Brass band is an exciting brass ensemble made up of volunteer brass and percussion players from all walks of life, both young and old from all over Southeastern Wisconsin.
- The Milwaukee Police Band – August 13, 2017 at 2pm. The Milwaukee Police Band is the oldest Police Band in America. Since its first concert on April 9, 1898 the group has continued to perform making it the oldest police band in America!
- Hartland Community Band – August 20, 2017 at 2pm. Organized in 1994, Hartland Community Band was formed to foster and promote an adult concert band that offers challenging and rewarding music for all players. Performances include music from Broadway and the movies, marches and patriotic fare along with classical concert band standards.
Tuesday Lunch Concert Series – August 1st through August 22nd, 2017, Noon (Peck Pavilion)
- SistaStrings – August 1, 2017. SistaStrings are Milwaukee based sisters who use their musical talents to inspire social change. As classically trained instrumentalists, Monique and Chauntee Ross are a dynamic, collaborative pair riffing on elements of classic and gospel music to create a unique sound rooted in passion.
- The Extra Crispy Brass Band – August 8, 2017. The Extra Crispy Brass Band plays New Orleans-style brass band music inspired by contemporary and traditional artists, such as the Olympia and Mahogany Brass Bands. Their repertoire includes pieces from the turn of last century, traditionals by Louis Armstrong and Sidney Bechet, modern funk tunes, and originals.
- Nickel & Rose – August 15, 2017. Nickel & Rose are an American bluesy folk duo comprised of upright bassist, Johanna Rose, and guitarist, Carl Nichols. The duo blends blues, folk, jazz with world music influence and their own unique brand of melody and harmonization.
- Tru Skool – August 22, 2017. Discover Tru Skool, whose mission is to use the urban arts as a tool to engage youth in social justice and humanities education, leadership and workforce development.
DanceMKE – August 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd, 7pm
DanceMKE is a weekly dance competition featuring Milwaukee dance artists from every style and discipline. Performers will dance for prizes and bragging rights over three consecutive weeks with the finals happening August 22nd.
Morning Glory Fine Craft Fair – August 12th and 13th, 2017, 10am
The Morning Glory Craft Fair has been named one of the top 100 art fairs in the U.S. and showcases the talents of regional and national fine craft artists. The fair features fine craft artists working in ceramics, fiber, jewelry, leather, metal, sculpture, photography, glass, wood, printmaking, and mixed media.
Peck Flicks at the Marcus Center – Select Dates August 4th through August 26th, 2017, 7:15pm (Peck Pavilion)
Peck Flicks at the Marcus Center is a free series offering family friendly movies shown outdoors in the Marcus Center’s Peck Pavilion. Seating opens at 6pm with films beginning at approximately 7:15 pm or at dusk. The new River’s Edge Patio will be open with food and beverages available for purchase from Sazama’s Fine Catering.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark – August 4, 2017
- John Hughes Double Feature: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and The Breakfast Club – August 10, 2017
- Space Jam – August 18, 2017
- Princess Double Feature: Tangled and Princess Bride – August 25, 2017
Taste of Islands – August 26, 2017, 2pm to 10pm (Peck Pavilion)
Live at Peck Pavilion comes to a close with a day long celebration complete with music, food and the culture of the Florida Keys! Enjoy music from national touring Jimmy Buffet tribute band BLUFFET, as well as kid-friendly activities, arts and crafts and more!
Perhaps the most unique way to experience the versatility of the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts is with your own private event, where you can offer your guests exceptional cuisine from Sazama’s Fine Catering surrounded by the beauty of The Marcus Center for the Performing Art’s many unique and vibrant spaces, perfectly suited for many types of events – like weddings, business meetings, cultural celebrations, fundraising galas, and more! Explore the many ways Sazama’s Fine Catering can assist you in creating the perfect summer event of your own!