Family fun comes in many varieties when summer rolls around in Milwaukee. The Marcus Center for the Performing Arts takes advantage of the festive season to offer guests plenty of entertainment for the entire family. Sazama’s Fine Catering, The Marcus Center’s exclusive caterer, is excited to sponsor a few of these events, and partners with this premier Riverwalk venue to offer exceptional service and hospitality year-round.
Since there is so much to see, we’ve put together a list of events happening throughout the summer to make sure you don’t miss out. We’ll keep the calendar updated throughout the season, so be sure and bookmark this page to see the latest!
KIDZ DAYS AT THE CENTER – June 19 – August 16, 10AM
KidZ Days at the Center is an interactive arts programs that showcase a variety of performing arts presented by local Milwaukee-area acts. This program serves to entertain and educate, making it perfect for daycare and elementary-age groups.
- June 19 – First Stage
- June 20 – Milwaukee Public Library
- June 21 – Florentine Opera
- June 26 – First Stage
- June 27 – Wisconsin Conservatory Instrument Petting Zoo
- June 28 – Lucky Diop African Drumming
- July 3 – First Stage
- July 5 – Milwaukee Public Library
- July 10 – First Stage
- July 11 – David Stokes: Laughing with Animals
- July 12 – Milwaukee Ballet
- July 17 – First Stage
- July 18 – The Milwaukee Flyers
- July 19 – Balloonist Peter John
- July 24 – First Stage
- July 25 – Kids Are People Too
- July 26 – Salsabrositas
- July 31 – First Stage
- August 1 – Ballet Folklorico Nacional
- August 2 – Milwaukee Public Library
- August 7 – First Stage
- August 8 – Ronnie Preston Native Grass Dancer
- August 9 – Trinity Irish Dancers
- August 14 – First Stage
- August 15 – Kohl’s WILD Theater – Jamboree
- August 16 – Suemo Dance Company
An American in Paris: The Musical – June 28 – July 1 (Uihlein Hall)
An American in Paris follows the lives of an American soldier and an enchanting Parisian girl during the aftermath of war. It’s a story of new beginnings that’s as timeless as it is fresh. Featuring an award-winning score by George and Ira Gershwin and choreography by Tony Award® winner Christopher Wheeldon, you’ll be mesmerized by its gorgeous dance numbers and stellar production value. You won’t want to miss what the New York Times call, “a triumph! Pure Joy!”
Get tickets through Ticketmaster here.
12th Annual Broadway Bash – Sponsored by Sazama’s – June 29, 5pm (Bradley Pavilion)
The Marcus Center for the Performing Arts will host its 13th Annual Broadway Bash on Friday, June 23rd when Broadway’s American in Paris: The Musical comes to town! The Bash, proudly sponsored by Sazama’s Fine Catering, will feature a welcome reception, followed by the performance of American in Paris: The Musical. After the performance, don’t miss the dessert reception for delicious hors d’oeuvres from Sazama’s and plenty of dancing!
King Lear, Presented by the Optimist Theater – July 5 – 21 (Peck Pavilion)
Catch a performance of Shakespeare’s classic King Lear starring James Pickering while enjoying the fresh air and beauty of the Peck Pavilion.
- July 5-8 (all shows at 8pm except Sunday at 7:30pm)
- July 12-15 (all shows 8pm except Sunday at 7:30pm)
- July 17 (12 noon show)
- July 19-21 (all shows at 8pm)
Sunday Band Concerts – July 22 – August 19, 2pm (Peck Pavilion)
If you want to experience the Marcus Center in a whole new way, take in some live entertainment at the Peck Pavilion. This outdoor amphitheater is surrounded by gorgeous chestnut trees and is just steps from the Milwaukee River. This summer’s Live at Peck Pavilion series will bring a wide variety of performances for all to enjoy. And with the new Sazama’s River’s Edge Patio open for all performances, you can enjoy delicious food and beverages available for purchase from Sazama’s Fine Catering.
- Sunday, July 22 – Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Sunday, July 29 – Kids from Wisconsin – Kids from Wisconsin showcases the most talented young musicians in a full musical revue for all ages. Consisting of 20 singers and dancers and a 13-piece show band, Kids from Wisconsin performs inspiring, entertaining musical productions to over 100,000 people each summer.
- Sunday, August 5 – Hartland Community Band – Organized in 1994, Hartland Community Band was formed to foster and promote an adult concert band that offers challenging and rewarding music for all players. Performances include music from Broadway and the movies, marches and patriotic fare along with classical concert band standards.
- Sunday, August 12th – 484th Army Band, USAR
- Sunday, August 19th – The Milwaukee Police Band – The Milwaukee Police Band is the oldest Police Band in America. Since its first concert on April 9, 1898, the group has continued to perform making it the oldest police band in America!
Thursday Lunch Concert Series – August 2 – 23, Noon (Peck Pavilion)
- Thursday, August 2 – Eagle Trace
- Thursday, August 9 – New Age Narcissism
- Thursday, August 16 – The Extra Crispy Brass Band – The Extra Crispy Brass Band plays New Orleans-style brass band music inspired by contemporary and traditional artists, such as the Olympia and Mahogany Brass Bands. Their repertoire includes pieces from the turn of last century, traditionals by Louis Armstrong and Sidney Bechet, modern funk tunes, and originals.
- Thursday, August 23 – WhiskeyBelles
DanceMKE – July 31 – August 21
DanceMKE is a weekly dance competition featuring Milwaukee dance artists from every style and discipline. Performers will dance for prizes and bragging rights over three consecutive weeks with the finals happening August 22nd.
- Tuesday, July 31 – Preliminary Rounds
- Tuesday, August 7 – Preliminary Rounds
- Tuesday, August 14 – Preliminary Rounds
- Tuesday, August 21 – Competition Finals
Tribute Band Thursday – August 2 – 23, 7pm
- Thursday, August 2 – U2 Zoo
- Thursday, August 9 – Let’s Get It On Milwaukee: Marvin Gaye Tribute Band
- Thursday, August 16 – Hair Band Night
- Thursday, August 23 – Boy Band Night
Peck Flicks at the Marcus Center – July 27 – August 24, 7:15pm (Peck Pavilion)
Peck Flicks at the Marcus Center is a free series offering family-friendly movies shown outdoors in the Marcus Center’s Peck Pavilion. Seating opens at 6pm with face painting and fun at 6:45pm and films starting at 7:15 pm. The new River’s Edge Patio will be open with food and beverages available for purchase from Sazama’s Fine Catering.
- Friday, July 27 – (Christmas In July Fun Run and Peck Flicks) – The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (2000)
- Friday, August 3 – Batman
- Friday, August 17 – Mean Girls
- Friday, August 24 – The Little Mermaid + Jaws
TRUE SKOOL Bloc Party – July 28, Noon – 7pm
Discover Tru Skool, whose mission is to use the urban arts as a tool to engage youth in social justice and humanities education, leadership and workforce development.
Taste of Islands – Saturday, August 25, 2-10pm (Peck Pavilion)
Live at Peck Pavilion comes to a close with a day-long celebration complete with music, food and the culture of the Florida Keys! Enjoy live music with performances by De La Buena, Adonis Puentes and the Voice of Cuba Orchestra, as well as kid-friendly activities, arts and crafts and more!
Fringe Festival – August 25-26 (Wilson Theater at Vogel Hall + Todd Wehr Theater)
Perhaps the most unique way to experience the versatility of the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts is with your own private event, where you can offer your guests exceptional cuisine from Sazama’s Fine Catering surrounded by the beauty of The Marcus Center for the Performing Art’s many unique and vibrant spaces, perfectly suited for many types of events – like weddings, business meetings, cultural celebrations, fundraising galas, and more! Explore the many ways Sazama’s Fine Catering can assist you in creating the perfect summer event of your own!